Welcome to UMEA
- Sept 20, WSU Review (Ogden)
- Sept 24, Nebo Tournament of Bands (Payson)
- Oct 1, Wasatch Front Invitational (Herriman)
- Oct 6-8, 2016 All-State Choir
- Oct 8, Bridgerland MB Invitational (Logan)
- Oct 11, Davis Cup (Kaysville)
- Oct 15, Mt. Timpanogos (Pleasant Grove)
- Oct 28, Red Rocks UMEA State Championships (St. George)
- Oct 29, Bands of America Marching Competition (St. George)
- Jan 19-21 2017 Instrumental All-State (Band, Orchestra), SLC
- Jan 27 & 28, 2017 State High School Honor Choir, SLC
- Jan 27 & 28, 2017 State Jr. High Honor Choir, SLC
- Feb 3 & 4, 2017, UMEA Professional Development Conference, Dixie Center, St. George, Utah
- Feb 15, 2017 UMEA Capitol Hill Day, 4:30 p.m., State Capitol
- Feb 24, 2017 State Jr. High Jazz Festival (New Event - tentative date and plans)
- Mar 14 & 15, 2017 State Jr. High/Middle School Orchestra Festival, University of Utah
- Mar 16 & 17, 2017 State Jr. High/Middle School Band Festival, University of Utah
- Mar 18, Utah Percussive Arts Festival
- Mar 24-25, State Jazz Festival
- Apr 29 State Solo & Ensemble Festival (north & south locations)
- May 4-6, State Band Festival, Corner Canyon H.S.
- May 12 & 13, 2017 State Choir Festival at U of U
- May 18-20, State Orchestra Festival
All-State Band Ready to Receive Applications
Instrumentalists who wish to submit their audition for All-State Band may now do so at: umea.us/allband.php
Call for Candidate Nominations
The 2017 UMEA election will be held prior to and during the UMEA Mid-Winter Conference in St. George. Members who have email accounts registered with the association will receive an invitation to an electronic ballot by mid-January, 2017. Others will receive a mailed ballot. Offices to be decided during this election cycle will be:
Band Vice President-elect
Choral Vice President-elect
Jr. High/Middle School President-elect
Higher Education Vice President-elect
The candidate chosen as president-elect will spend two years in that office, two years as UMEA president and two years as past president. Candidates chosen for Band, Choral, Jr. High/Middle School and Higher Ed. vice presidents-elect will serve one year in that position and two years as president of that group.
Nominees for these offices should be members who will represent their respective areas with integrity and diligence. They should be exemplary teachers or administrators who are reliable and responsive to the membership and their responsibilities as members of the UMEA Board.
Nomination deadline: Sept. 1, 2016
Send nominations to:
3743 W 200 N
Hurricane, UT 84737
or email to: email@example.com
Call for Award Nominations
UMEA recognizes the accomplishments of its membership and those who support music education in Utah with awards which are presented annually at the UMEA Mid-Winter Professional Development Conference in St. George, Utah. Nominations are screened by a nominating committee and come before the UMEA Board for approval. Nominations are currently being accepted for the following:
Outstanding Music Educator - top state award for long-term meritorious service.
Superior Accomplishment - awarded for one, specifically outstanding accomplishment during the previous year.
Service to Music Education - given to a non-UMEA member who has given special service, assistance or opportunities to enhance music education.
Senior High School Award - high school music teacher who has demonstrated distinct, commendable achievement and service.
Junior High/Middle School Award - jr. high/middle school music teacher who has demonstrated distinct, commendable achievement and service.
Elementary Award - elementary teacher or music specialist whose contributions expand and enrich elementary music.
Outstanding Administrator Award - public school administrator who has demonstrated commitment and support to music education.
UMEA Hall of Fame Award - individual, living or deceased, whose long-term, meritorious service, assistance and inspiration to music education has made a lasting impression.
Note: Teacher recipients must be members of UMEA
Nomination deadline: November 15, 2016
Send nominations to Norm Lister
304 Cholla Dr.
Washington, UT 84780
or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Changes to Adjudication Certification
The UMEA adjudication committee and UHSAA have agreed upon some changes begin June 1, 2016.
- The term for certified adjudicators has increased to four years.
- All adjudicator terms will end in June of the fourth year, regardless of when they certified.
- John Bowman was named as the Adjudication Committee's new chair. He replaces Claudia Bigler who has served admirably in this position for several years.
2017 Band All-State
Audition materials are now available on the All-State Band page.
Learn how UMEA supports music education on our Advocacy page.
Featured Advocacy Articles:
- Read Caleb Chapman's powerful speech given at this year's Capitol Hill Day.
- Read Jenny Oaks Baker's Keynote speech given at this year's Capitol Hill Day.
Past Featured article:
- "Arts Involvement and At-Risk Students"
NAfME Western Region President-elect
Congratulations to Sam Tsugawa, newly elected NAfME Western Region President-elect!
2016 Conference Handouts
Click here for handouts and resources from the 2016 UMEA Mid-Winter Professional Development Conference
2016 UMEA Board Election Results
Congratulations to the following newly elected UMEA officers:
Join or Renew Membership in UMEA & NAfME
Joining UMEA allows members to receive support and instruction from the state's largest professional music-teaching association as well as membership to NAfME, the largest national music educators organization. Membership Benefits